Skip to main content
Supports offered at EPMS

Clothing closet, shoes, school supplies, food boxes, technology and ParentVue support. Please contact:

  • Esther Dean, Family Liaison - Ext. 50581
APS Resources

APS District Website

Assignments, Grades, Attendance, Teacher contact information

Medicaid School-Based Services: 855-5261


Counseling Tree
School Counselors

Josephina Jackson, MA, LMHC
(505) 877-3770 Ext. 50507
Students All 6th grade; 7th grade A-L

Courtney M. Elkins, LPCC
(505) 877-3770 Ext. 50506

Students All 8th grade; 7th grade M-Z

Counseling Services
  • solution-focused brief individual and group counseling
  • classroom guidance lessons
  • crisis intervention
  • consultation with parents and teachers
  • coordination with outside agencies and therapists
  • referrals for community services
Why do Students Need School Counseling?
  • Students learn best when they feel good about themselves and their  relationships with others
  • Students who understand their feelings are better able to control their behavior
  • We know that stress can affect focus and learning, but its impact can be reduced with proven self-regulation strategies
  • Schools, parents, and communities that communicate and collaborate provide the most effective support to children
  • Attitudes formed during middle school shape future attitudes towards learning, self, and society

What does a middle school counselor do? 
Much like the school nurse, our services are available to ALL students. It is our job to make sure students are happy and doing their best at school. This is a tall order since so many factors go into students doing well--their ability to focus and pay attention, their relationships with peers and teachers, how well they can manage their feelings and impulses, and their lives outside of school. We address these issues using individual or small group solution-focused counseling, as well as classroom guidance lessons. We ask students to think of us as a coach who helps them solve their problems.

How are you different from a therapist from an outside agency?
We frequently see students once or twice, or in the classroom setting rather than in our office. Although we do often help students with family problems and behavior at home, our primary role is to deal with school-related problems. Sometimes an issue is better addressed more intensively in a therapeutic setting, and with greater direct parent involvement. Contact us if you’d like us to recommend an outside therapist for your child.  

How do students come to see you?
Students will come to us in a variety of ways. Usually, it’s by recommendation of the classroom teacher and/or the parent. Sometimes they are referred by the office. Often, students will approach us themselves and ask if they can schedule an appointment. They may also ask their teacher or someone in the office to give us a message.  

“I have learned that people will forget what you said; people will forget what you did; but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

        - Maya Angelou

Homework Resources

ATF Dial-A-Teacher - Free help!(505) 344-3571 Monday-Thursday - 5:30pm-8:30pm

 Khan Academy

Talk Lines

AGORA Helpline: (505) 277-3013

NM Crisis Line: 1 (855) 662-7474

Suicide Prevention Hotline:

1 (800) 273-8255

Centro Savila
(505) 312-7296

First Choice (South Valley)
(505) 873-7400

Southwest Family Guidance Center and Institute  (SWFGC)  
(505) 830-1871

Rio Grande Counseling Services
(505) 246-8700 

First Nations Healthcare
(505) 262-2481
Family Workshop  
(505) 880-0100 

SAGE Neuroscience Center 
(505) 405-2171

(505) 212-7405

Attachment Healing Center  
(505) 237-0061 

Small Steps Child Counseling
(505) 933-4639

NM Children’s Grief Center
(505) 323-0478

Eating Disorders Treatment Center
(505) 266-6121

All Faiths Receiving Home:
(505) 271-0329

Barret House: (505) 243-4887

S.A.F.E. House: (505) 247-4219

Albuquerque Housing Authority
(505) 764-3920

Albuquerque HUD Office
(505) 346-6463
Bernalillo County Community Services
(505) 468-7000/468-7140

Albuquerque Indian Center
(505) 268-1751

Albuquerque Indian Health Center
(505) 248-4000

Enlace Comunitario (DV Center)
(505) 246-8972

Native American Professional Parent Resources
(505) 345-6289

NM Coalition Against Domestic

(505) 246-9240

NM Immigrant Law Center
(505) 247-1023

NM Legal Aid
1 (833) 545-4357/(505) 243-7871

Parents Reaching Out
(505) 247-0192
(provides support to families w/children who have special needs and/or disabilities)